This weekend I decided to put Pinterest to good use. I chose a project from my To Do List board.
I've seen the tile coasters all over Pinterest and blogland and I love them. I sent Michael to Lowes to buy the tiles. Then Ireland and I spent part of the day Saturday working on these.
I used a mix of materials for mine. Ireland used thick scrapbook paper for her coasters, the blue and red multi-flowery ones. I used a Puffs tissue box. I couldn't find the right pattern in the box of scrapbook paper so I decided to look around the house to see what I could find.
Most of the tutorials online use thin paper, but I really like the design of the Puffs box.
I really love the orange coaster with the cloud. It's an American Spirit cigarette ad found in a magazine. See...you can use anything.
So this tutorial is to describe my experience with thicker materials and materials found around the house...anything other than scrapbook paper.
4 inch ceramic tiles (16 cents each)
Mod Podge (gloss)
any paper material
spray to seal (I haven't sprayed mine yet) Michael told me he already has something I can use.
When using thicker paper use a thicker base coat of Mod Podge. You won't have to worry about bubbles. If you put a light coat of Mod Podge on the tile, it won't hold thicker paper.
Cut your paper to the desired size. I used a paper cutter that had measurements...I cut my squares to measure about 3.75 inches so it wouldn't completely cover the tile. I wanted to leave the edges to create a border.
Place the paper on the tile and press in place for a few seconds. Make sure the edges are down...thicker paper tends to come up around the edges.
I then put a thin layer of Mod Podge on top and waited about 15 minutes for it to dry. I put a total of 5 thin coats on. Use straight strokes from top edge to bottom of the tile. These brush strokes can be seen after drying so make sure you don't glob the Mod Podge.
This striped coaster is going to be a set for Michael's sister. I don't think she reads this blog...so maybe she'll be surprised.
I know the photo quality is not the best...sorry about that. All of the photos were taken with my phone. I couldn't find my Nikon charger.
This is a really fast and easy project. It's neat to re-purpose all kinds of things found around the house.
Today I'm weaving ends on my ripple and patchwork blankets.
I hope you all have a great week:)