Friday, October 14, 2011

Another Finished Project...YAaY!!






I love crocheting for babies... and I just finished this blankie, owl hat, and little shoes set. It is soooo colorful and bright...maybe too bright. I just hope the parents like these as much as I do. Ripple blankets are so cool to make and I got the inspiration for this one from Attic 24. Here is the link for the instructions. I used Lucy's instructions for the ripple and my own color scheme.

3 rows pink
2 rows orange
1 row white

3 rows green
2 rows pink
1 row orange
3 rows white
2 rows green
1 row pink ....you get the idea.





The owl hat is my own design. They are really popular on Etsy...and all of the great crocheters there inspired me to make one to go with the blankie. If you are interested in the pattern for one like mine...just let me know and I'll write it all down and post it here.




And of course I had to finish the set with a pair of shoes. These shoes are so precious. This pattern is from a wonderful crochet designer Sylvia. She can be found here on Etsy. All of her patterns are precise, meticulous, and pretty darned perfect. I have bought several from her...and I can honestly say that her designs are the best when it comes to shoes.









Soooo cute....I have made dozens of pairs to give for gifts. Did I tell you how much I love this pattern?

Just a little note about the materials... I used Caron Simply Soft Brites in Orange, Pink, Green, and White. I chose this yarn for the great colors and softness, but after some use, the yarn does fuzz up a bit.

Edit: I am adding the pattern for the owl hat here. Please comment with any questions... I had to write it up blind... without the actual hat. I am currently crocheting another one of these and editing the pattern as I find mistakes. If you find any that have not been corrected...please let me know

Additional Edit: Please do not take this pattern and reprint or repost on Ravelry, blog, or anywhere else as your own. This has become an issue. Even if slight modifications are made, it is still my own design. Slight modifications or alterations to an existing pattern does not produce a new or original design.... so remember to give credit where credit is due... and not call it your own. Most crocheters, knitters, and crafters are very considerate and understanding about designs, which I really appreciate.

Owl Hat

Materials
Size G (4mm) crochet hook
Worsted weight yarn
Yarn needle

Sizing
3-6 months (closer to 6 months)
To increase the size of the hat add an increase row and then an even row for each size up. For ex: 12 months I used 68 sts and 17 rows…I hope this is clear…if not just comment and I’ll try to explain it a little better.

Click here to see how I increased the eyes and nose for a child's size hat.
Edit: I have recently crocheted this pattern with a regular worsted (Loops and Threads, Red Heart, Vanna's Choice) and it is larger than 3 months. So the yarn has a lot to do with size. I am not a loose crocheter when I make hats...that also will make a huge difference in number of stitches around... keep this in mind when trying to achieve a certain size. If you're in doubt, or trying to achieve a larger size, you can try another pattern for the body of the hat and use these instructions for the face of the owl. I am working on increasing the size and I'll edit the pattern here as I go.

The owl hat in the first photo is made to fit a 4/5 year old. I increased to 72 sts and stopped after 19 rounds. Then started the earflaps. I worked 14 sc for the first row and then decreased every row by sc2tog in the first 2 sts of each row. I ended with one stitch. There are 3 rounds of edging. (yellow, pink, and blue)
Here is a chart to help with increasing the size of the hat. It will not tell you how many rounds or stitches to use, but it will give you the measurements that you should use for different ages/sizes. I hope it helps.

Note: This hat is worked in the round. The beginning ch 2 of each round counts as the first hdc. Join each round with sl st in top of beginning ch 2.

Pattern
Ch 4, join with sl st in first ch forming circle.
Round 1: Ch 2, 9 hdc in circle. (10 hdc)
Rnd 2: Ch 2, 2 Hdc in each st around. (20 hdc)
Rnd 3: Ch 2, 2 Hdc in next st, (Hdc in next st, 2hdc in next) around. (30 hdc)
Rnd 4: Ch 2, Hdc in next st, 2 hdc in next st, (hdc in next 2 sts, 2 hdc in next st)around. (40 hdc)
Rnd 5: Ch 2, Hdc in next 2 sts, 2 hdc in next st, (hdc in next 3 sts, 2 hdc in next st)around. (50 hdc).
Rnd 6: Ch 2, Hdc in next 3 sts, 2 hdc in next st, (hdc in next 4 sts, 2 hdc in next st)around. (60 hdc).
Rnd 7-8: Ch 2, Hdc in each st around. Join with sl st and finish off.
Rnd 9: With contrasting color attach with sl st. Ch 2, Hdc in each st around.
Rnd 10-13: Ch 2, Hdc in each st around. Join with sl st, but do not finish off.

First Earflap
Row 1: Ch 1, sc in same st and in the next 12 sts. Ch 1 and turn. (13 sts)
Row 2: Sc2tog, sc in each st to the last 2 sts, sc2tog, ch 1 and turn. (11 sts)
Row 3: Sc in each st , ch 1 and turn.
Repeat rows 2-3 until you have 1 st, finish off.

Second Earflap
Center for this earflap by lying flat. I just counted out 13 sts and then counted on each side of them to see if they were centered. I am writing this pattern without the hat (referring to my photos) so you get the general idea.
With right side facing, attach with sl st. Sc in same st and in next 12 sts.
Repeat instructions for first earflap, but this time DO NOT Finish off.

Begin working a sc edge around the earflap. Place a sc in the end of each row then continue with sc around the bottom edge of the hat until you reach the other earflap, work up the side and then work 3 sc in the point of the earflap. Continue down the other side of the earflap and around the bottom edge. Work the edge of the other earflap, remembering to work 3 sc in the point and finish off, leaving a long enough tail to use in your braid. (This will decrease the number of ends that you have to weave in… I really hate weaving ends)

With contrasting color, sc around the edge again (leaving long starting and finishing tails to use in your braid)

Eyes
Ch 4, join with sl st in first ch to form circle. Ch 3 (counts as first dc), 9 dc in circle, join with sl st in top of ch 3. Finish off. (10dc)
Rnd 2: With contrasting color place 2 sc in each st, join with sl st, finish off. (20 sc)
Rnd 3: With 3rd color, attach with sl st and ch 4 (counts as first treble crochet), 2 tr in next st, (tr in next st, 2 tr in next st)around. Join with sl st to top of first st. (30 tr)
Finish off leaving a long tail for sewing.

Nose
Ch 7
Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across (6 sc)
Row 2: Sc2tog, sc in remaining sts. (5 sc)
Repeat row 2 until 1 st remains, finish off leaving a tail long enough for sewing.
Use enlarged photo for placement when sewing onto the hat. When sewing I used top layer of stitch on the hat (not going all the way through the stitch). This will make the inside of the hat neat and the stitches will not be seen. Weave ends.

Tassels (Ears)
Cut four 8” strips for each color. Using crochet hook pull under 4th row of hat and twist together making it easier to tie into a knot. Trim to approximately 1 ½ in”

Braids
Cut long strips of each color. I used 4 of each color and pulled each color through a different stitch of the bottom of the earflap. Then begin braiding to desired length. Tie end and trim.

Eyebrows
Look at enlarged photo and work 7 sc around inner edge of eye. Sc under sts on hat in a diagonal line. I used about 6 sc for this. Finish off. Weave ends.

If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them for you…just leave me a comment.






65 comments:

  1. I would love to see the owll hat pattern this is perfect for my friends daughters first birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure...I will get to work on this pattern for you and post it here in a couple of days :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your generosity in sharing your pattern. I love the colors you used in yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you're welcome... and thank you for your nice comment. I love the colors too, but was a little worried about what the parents would think, but they loved them too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have just added a photo of the hat that will zoom in for you. I hope this helps with eyes and nose placement.

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry I am a beginner and I dont understand part of it. For example: Rnd 3: Ch 2, 2 Hdc in next st, (Hdc in next st, 2hdc in next) around. (30 hdc). Is round 3 suppose to be the part not in parentheses, and then technically round 4 would be the part that is in parentheses? Or do I follow just the parentheses instructions if I want my hat to be the next size up for 3-6 month old? I want to make my hat for a 6-9 month old, so if you could just clarify things for me I would appreciate it. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    The part in parentheses is repeated around. It is basically describing how to increase from 20 stitches to 30 stitches. You would start by doing everything before the parentheses, then do everything in the parentheses repeatedly until you end up at the point where you join. All if the instructions are for newborn to 3 months depending on yarn used. I used light worsted so if your yarn is thicker then the pattern may work for the next size up. To get a bigger size you basically add a round of increases and then about 2 rounds of even stitches. It is dependent on your yarn and how loosely or tightly you crochet. I hope this helps...let me know if I can clarify more.

    Thanks,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you explain how to convert the Owl hat to fit a 4 year old? I'd love to make it, thank you so much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,I have an almost 4 yr old and I usually make a hat and keep adding increasing rounds and keep trying it on her head. But if you do not have one handy...LOL...I know it is a little tougher. I would probably try 80 sts with an H hook. Today I do not have access to my yarn and hooks (at the beach), but I will in a couple of days. I'll comment again with a better suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can you post the pattern for the blanket? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always have problems figuring out how wide for the head should be b/w a 6 month old and an older child :( every time I try it's very tight and its too long lol. I make them for family and I can never nail it, cuz the only time I see them is when I hand them the hat. Do u have any suggestion on increases for different ages? Thanks for any help you are willing to provide :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have the same problem sometimes. I usually guess at it...but you could try different patterns. When I am in doubt...I will go to ravelry or crochet pattern central and find a pattern for whatever size I am looking for. Then I will use the measurements and substitute the stitch I want to make it with. So I'm using my own pattern but going by another pattern only for gauge or size. I also intentionally make the hat just a little wider than I think it should be and that helps. I know what you mean about being too tight. I know this is not a solution, but hopefully it helps

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will work on the ripple blanket pattern tomorrow for you. I posted a general pattern and you can find the instructions for the basic ripple at Attic 24 blog, then use my sequence to get the pattern for this particular blanket. I'll clarify this more tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the advice :) I actually teaching my self to crochet by reading and watching videos. I have a passion for it know, I don't even watch TV any more I love it. I want to keep learning and start crocheting my own patterns, but I'm not that good yet... Any way thanks for responding back, is nice to talk about crocheting with someone ;) thanks again and beautifull work, I love the colors

    ReplyDelete
  16. Liz, I have a chart for hats that gives the appox. sizes of kids heads when it comes to making hats. I have used it and it comes very very close. Let me know if you would like and I can post or email it to you...^&^

    ReplyDelete
  17. AbyBay:
    That would be great!!! Thanks so much. You see there are so many that have this problem with size...new crocheters and long time crocheters. I have been crocheting what seems like forever and I have not used a chart, but I would love that. That would be a great help to everyone. You can post it or email it...whatever you prefer. Do you mind if I edit the post to include it or make a whole new post so everyone will see it?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Thanks for all the free patterns! They are SO beautiful!

    Genevieve

    ReplyDelete
  19. Genevieve,
    Thanks so much for your nice comment...and you are welcome. Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. There are several interested in converting the Owl Hat pattern to larger sizes. I have gotten numerous requests here and on Ravelry, so now, I am in the process of adding a size chart. I will open a new post with instructions. Thanks so much for all of your comments and I'll try my best to help.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank You for posting this Pattern. I LOVE it

    ReplyDelete
  22. Liz, I absolutely love this entire set! The colors are so beautiful! I noticed that you have made mention of posting the pattern for the afghan, but not the shoes. I love the shoes so much. I have looked at hundreds of shoe/bootie patterns, but none of them really make me say, "wow, I have to make those!" I have finally found the shoes here on your post! Would you be willing to share you're pattern, please?
    Thank you,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Susan,
    Thanks so much for the nice comment. The shoes are not my own design. You can get the pattern, but it is not free. I have provided a link in my post. Go back up to the shoes and the link is above the photos. The link will take you to the designer's Etsy shop, where you can purchase the pattern. I love her designs...she is one of the best when designing shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much for sharing your patterns. I'm working on the owl hat now and it seems awfully small to me. I'm thinking I should have continued making it a bit longer or deeper but not sure yet. I'm using Lionbrand pound of love. It is so very cute. Thanks again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi,

    You're welcome and thank you. All of us crochet with different gauges and tension. I have posted a chart to help with hat sizes for different ages from baby to adult. I Hope this helps. I have just started using the charts myself. It is pretty accurate.

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you so much for sharing i made one owl hat for my little girl!! I Let you the link if you want to see it.
    http://elrinconcitodelscrapdigitalymas.blogspot.com/2011/12/gorrito-de-buho-crochet.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really appreciate how helpful you have been to everyone asking questions. I absolutely love your hat and color combination! Can you tell me what brand of yarn you used to find these colors?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Tonyha,

    All of these colors are at Walmart. The green, pink, orange, and white are all the same brand, Caron Simply Soft. They are the bright colors. Easy, huh? Thanks so much,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just 3 comments. Made it, LOVE it, Thank you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What yarn did you use for this? I absolutely love the colors and the patterns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      Thank you. I used Caron Simply Soft. The brite colors in pink, orange, green, and white.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I am going to be making this during my downtime for a friend.

      Delete
  31. Wow! The set looks great, thank you so much for your generosity.

    ReplyDelete
  32. can you email me this pattern for a 12 or 18 month old? I would really appreciate it. achapman1227@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      I have only written the pattern out here on my blog. Right now I am in the process of writing it out in a PDF file. (Instead of having one size in one post and another size in another post) If you wanted to get started in the meantime I would suggest making the hat up to about 64 sts around with about 17 rounds before starting the earflaps. I hope this helps. If not please be patient and I'll have the pattern with different sizes written out in a few days.
      Thanks,
      Liz

      Delete
  33. Ahh...yes, sizes are such a guessing game for me. I am a new crocheter and love it. One other problem I encounter is how do you add another color in the round without leaving a little "step" in color change. I cannot seem to figure out how to make a smoothe transition that is NOT noticable. Any help here is much appreciated. Thanks...Cute Owl hat! Love the colors. Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol,

      If you want to avoid that little stair step you'll have to join each round. Then the rounds will be even. But then you'll have a seam. So I prefer to join and have a seam than have a color stair step. Thanks so much and let me know if I can help in the future.

      Liz

      Delete
    2. I forgot about this method. It's a seamless join by Sarah London. You can try it out and see if it will work for you. Usually I just join, and do a seamless join on the last round.
      http://sarahlondon.wordpress.com/2009/08/10/seamless-symmetrical/

      Maybe this will help,
      Liz

      Delete
  34. how much of each color yarn did you need for the blanket? how many "sets" of the 14 chains did you use to make a good size baby blanket?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I posted about the blanket in a separate post. I'll have to go back and look. I think I used 4 sets of 14. I think I used 2 skeins of pink and maybe one of the rest. Maybe 2 orange

      Delete
  35. adorable. is there any way to make this by knitting? on a round loom? loveee it. would soo love to use it on some of my photography clients as a prop and blog about you. also, do u sell any of your finished products? julie@juliecookportraits.c om http://www.juliecookportraits.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you can knit it. I'm not a great knitter, so I can't help too much. Sorry, maybe you can search on the knitting patterns sites. I do sell finished items, but right now, I have about three projects that I need to make. Thanks,
      Liz

      Delete
  36. Thank you so much for the free pattern. Been a fan of Project Linus for a long time and needed a new challenge. Crocheting hats for babies saves their lives, keeps the heat in and makes them look o so cute in the process! Thought I would do some animal hats in bright bold colors and send them to charities. BTW, bright bold colors helps a newborns eye vision to focus.
    Will post a photo just as soon as I have one done.
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Do you care if we use your pattern and sell the finished project?

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks for sharing this! I made it for a friend who is expecting a baby girl and she just loved it! I'm so thankful for talented pattern makers who share their knowledge freely with the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
  39. THANK YOU for figuring out and posting a pattern for the owl hat!!! I found a picture of this hat on pinterest without a pattern and FELL IN LOVE. I Must Make This for my 18 month old :) I'm so happy that I stumbled upon your blog. It's a beautiful place. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  40. How much yarn for the hat?
    Really Nice tha you put the pattern out by the way - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  41. So is this pattern here for 4/5 year old size?

    ReplyDelete
  42. I am wondering, in your pattern it doesnt explain when to do the color switch. When would be a good time to do that?

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh never mind, silly me. Your patter does show the color change. So sorry haha.

    ReplyDelete
  44. These patterns are adorable! Absolutely love them! I was wondering if you had any tips when changing colors when working in a round? And finishing when working in a round?

    ReplyDelete
  45. My sister is wanting this beanie for her daughter. I don't quite get your increase instructions for making it larger. If each increase row increases by 10, how did you get 72 stitches for your 4/5 year old? I currently have 9 rows (90 stitches) and its measuring at about 49cm around the circumference.

    ReplyDelete
  46. can i copy bthis patteren????thanks drifter144@windstream.net thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you mean printed out...Sure, no worries:)

      Delete
  47. Hi do you have pattern for the shoes? Can you share?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not own the pattern for the shoes. I purchased it from a designer found on Etsy. I think I referred to her in the post or in other comments. All of her shoes designs are great and worth buying.

      Delete
  48. Love your blog so much. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  49. Very Cute!I just made an Owl hat but didn't like the nose I love yours better! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  50. Could you please help me figure out how to adjust this pattern to fit girls that are 7 and 9 years old? Would love to try making this for my nieces but I just started learning to crochet and am not sure how to adjust the pattern to fit my nieces. Thanks for sharing!
    Shelly P.
    tnhottie025@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  51. Love the colors in the pink & green hat. Could you send me the instructions for the pink & Green Hat. Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
  52. Love ur work!!! is there a pdf file made yet??...would like to print it out without all the pages and pics...just need one pic and instructions plz n ty!!

    ReplyDelete