Monday, February 6, 2012

Another Owl Hat

This weekend I made progress on my pattern for the yarn co, worked on my ripple, watched the Super Bowl, and made this new hat for Ireland. I get lots and lots of messages about the owl hat, so I wanted to add details about this one with lots of photos.


I've made several of these hats, but none for Ireland. So I decided to make one for her with the leftover scraps from previous hats. It actually started as a piggy hat, but morphed into an owl because I ran out of pink. It's not a piggy, but she still likes it. She has a piggy hat on the brain so I think I'm still going to have to make one of those too.

I changed a few details for this hat. The original is here.

For this one, I obviously made it larger.


I also made the eyes larger by adding a couple of rounds. The larger the hat, the larger the eyes need to be.


Eyes (I used blue for rounds 1 and 2, then white for rounds 3-5)
Ch 2
Rnd 1: 8 sc in the 2nd ch from hook.(8 sc)
Rnd 2: 2 hdc in each st around. Join with sl st to first st (16 hdc)
Rnd 3: 2 sc in first st, sc in next st. (2 sc in next st, sc in next st) around. Join with sl st. (24 sc)
Rnd 4: Ch 3 (counts as first dc). Dc in same st. Dc in next 2 sts. (2 dc in next st, dc in next 2 sts) around. Join with sl st. (32 dc)
Rnd 5: 2 sc in first st. sc in next 3 sts. (2 sc in next st, sc in next 3 sts). Join with sl st. (40 sc)

I added the eyebrows later after the eyes were sewn onto the hat. I worked a sc around 16 sts. Refer to the photos.

Nose
Ch 8
Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across. Ch 1, turn. (7 sc)
Sc2tog in first 2 sts, sc in remaining sts across. Ch 1, turn (6 sc)
Sc2tog in first 2 sts, sc in rem sts across. Ch 1, turn. (5 sc)
Repeat the decreases ending with one stitch. Finish off leaving tail long enough for sewing.


I also changed the edging. I wanted 2 colors for the edge and a more finished look. Recently, I've gotten a couple of comments asking me how to make projects look more neat and finished. Basically, for edgings, I always add a round in the same color before changing to the contrast color. If you change to the contrast color for edges (like the sides of the earflaps) then the edges will not be as neat as possible.

Then for this hat I added an extra round of edging with the blue. I worked into the back loop to make the pink/ blue combo look even neater (is that a word?)


Also, to make the face look neat, try to take lots of time to center the eyes and nose. When sewing, only work under the first layer of the stitch on the hat so the back side will be tidy. You won't have a mess on the inside of the project. And if I'm not happy about the face, I'll redo it until it looks like I want it to.


Raveled here

I used worsted weight yarn and a G (4mm) hook.
White and pink is Caron Simply Soft
Yellow is Caron Simply Soft Eco
Blue is Vanna's Choice
Orange is Red Heart


It's a new month so that means giveaway! I'll be back in a couple of days with the details.

31 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great tips on finishing!! I tend to skip that step and then regret it every time I see the project.

    Looking forward to the giveaway!
    Genevieve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Genevieve,
      You're welcome. Have a great week:D

      Delete
    2. Śliczna czapka :) pięknie kolorowa :)

      Delete
  2. The owl is adorable but the little one wearing it is even cuter!
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meredith,
      She wasn't acting cute when I took these. She was crying and stomping her feet and wouldn't look at the camera.
      Hope you have a great week:D

      Delete
  3. I'm giggling at your model with an attitude. I think the photos are beautiful...and probably more special than if she'd been looking at you! We viewers would never know of her mood if you didn't tell us! LOL I remember when my daughter was little...I could ALWAYS depend on her to pitch a fit when a camera was in the room! I love the hat. I made one last summer and absolutely had a ball putting it together! Looking at yours makes me yearn to make another! Hugs, Annette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annette,
      Thanks so much. They definitely have attitude at this age. I think this will be my last owl of the season. They are fun and everybody loves them. Thanks again,
      Liz

      Delete
  4. Love it, Ive already had an order from a small person at my place!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janette,
      Thank you. The kids love them. I had made about 3 for other kids and Ireland was like, "where's mine?" How do you say no to your child?:D
      Liz

      Delete
  5. Did you increase the ear flaps as well??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      Yes. I increased the earlaps by one or two stitches. I think one. Thanks so much for asking. I forgot about that. I think I did them differently. I decreased over the first two sts of each row. I'll include the instructions for this.
      Thanks again,
      Liz

      Delete
    2. I don't think I ended up increasing the ear flaps but I did come up a bit short over all so I just did a couple extra rounds of trim.I made this for my 3yr old daughter & It turned out AWESOME! Wish I could show you a pic!! I have had several comments that this is my best piece so far. I, in turn, gave the "majority" of the credit to you :) You are very generous sharing patterns and taking your time to explain all the details!! Thanks again :)

      Delete
  6. Hi I just started following your blog. This is so amazing and beautiful. My daughter just happened to walk by and said mom i want one. I am ok at crocheting but I am going to give it a go:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. You have to make her one. You can do it...I promise it's pretty easy. The kids love them:D
      Thanks again, and I hope you find something here that you would love for yourself
      Liz

      Delete
  7. Hello Liz,
    Great owl hat!
    Just wanted to tell you that I have an award for you on my blog. Please visit the following link to see and collect it (scroll down the page a bit).
    http://elisabethandree.posterous.com/1-year-old

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I'll go check it out now:D

      Delete
  8. She looks just as cute as see can be in that adorable hat. I love it but I still think she deserves a piggy.
    Happy Weekend,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love it! My wee girl is going to want one as soon as she sees this! Have a fab weekend. Leah

    ReplyDelete
  10. oH my God!!! that is really a pretty hat!!! congrats!!! your work is amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. verry verryyyyyyy likeee iiiit...full colour!!thnx for sharing patterns...

    iejhajha.blogspot.com
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. When increasing the size of the hat are there special instructions for that or just add the same amount of stitches in each row?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to know as well. I have a 5 yr old niece who wants an owl hat!!

      Delete
  13. This hat is so adorable I made one for my daughter and my son, changed the colors of course,lol. They love them too! Our daughters are around the same age. I just started my blog and am looking for friends I have already added you you can add me if you like.
    leonardanna321.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. i would like the index to the abbreviations.

    ReplyDelete