Saturday, March 31, 2012

Poncho for Spring

I made this poncho last year...or was it the year before last? I can't remember.


I posted it on Ravelry a few months ago and somehow forgot to blog about it.
I love the light airy feel when wearing it. I think I'll dig it out and wear it to work this week.


This is a quick and easy project. It is extremely stretchy and the one in the photo has not been blocked.

You can download the pattern here or just use the instructions below

Skill Level
Beginner

Materials
Size K crochet hook
Lace or fingering weight yarn (cotton for the warm season)
Yarn needle

Sizes
S/M (large)

Important
Crochet very loosely.
It is a little uncomfortable using a larger hook with smaller weight yarn, but it is necessary to create the openwork design. Scroll up to see close-up showing the stitch.

Crochet in the either the front loops only or back loops only

I did both...the one pictured was worked in the front loops only


Pattern

Ch 25 (29)

Working in the back loop

Row 1: Sc in 2nd st from hook. Sc in each ch across. Ch 1, turn

Row 2: Sc in each st across. Ch 1, turn.

Repeat Row 2 until you reach the desired width to fit around your body. I stopped after 50 rows.

Finish off leaving about 12 inches of tail for sewing.

Fold the piece in half. Using the tail, begin to whipstitch the top of the piece (not the side edges).
Sew for approximately 4 or 5 inches. Finish off.

Weave all ends. The piece may appear small, but the texture is extremely stretchy (the poncho in the photo has not been blocked)


Don't worry about messing up. This pattern can be altered in so many ways. I used size 3 fashion thread for the one in the photo, but you can use any yarn you choose. I like the light weight for the warm weather.

Enjoy!

26 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! Will add to my to try list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, this is a very beautiful, sexy poncho and what I like about it is that it won't make you hot and it would cover my hello's and goodby's under my arms and I could still wear a vest under it.
    This pattern doesn't look to dificult either as I'm a novice crocheter.
    I mostly crochet covers for ipads, cell phones and nooks for the ladies at my book club.
    I'm crocheting little shabby chic pink cell phone covers with white flowers on for my girls new Tracfone LG800G smart phones so they don't scratch their touch screens, as the phones cost me $50 ea. I'm only paying $6/month for 40 minutes of talk time for child, bargain I think.
    I think you can even add a few loose shimmery beads or crystals to the poncho to make it a little glamorous if you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank and it is definitely an easy pattern if you can even call it that. 6/month is definitely a bargain...I wish that was all I had to pay:) I hope you like the pattern

      Delete
  3. Love it!!! Perfect time to of year for me to whip some of these up for the Summer months: )
    Thank you so much for sharing another fun pattern! You take simple stitches and make lovely pieces that a newbie can manage, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and you're welcome. It is so easy and you can change it up in so many ways...with different stitches or yarn.

      Delete
  4. This is gorgeous Liz. Thanks so much for sharing the pattern. Maggie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty. You are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a sweet lacy airy poncho - just what I was looking for! I think I may even add some fringe on it! Cannot wait to start this! Now the fun part - picking out the yarn! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see the finished project:D

      Delete
  7. Lovely. I've been looking for a pattern for some pretty yarn I have and I think I just found it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you have a tutorial for blocking, I don't know how to do this yet, but I am impressed with the results in seeing you projects. I will google it, or check on you tube.

    Thanks for all these wonderful ideas and patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Elizabeth, I am having trouble with your easy open work poncho. Not sure how “loose” to crochet this…the initial chain of 25 is very short. Please tell me how long the initial chain will approximately be at the beginning. Also, am having a hard time figuring out how to “fold in half” at the end…..I experimented with a kitchen towel and for the life of me cannot understand how this will work. Do you fold from right to left or from corner to corner?

    Thank you for any assistance.

    Heidi Day

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad I found your blog. It's awesome

    ReplyDelete
  11. Finally got here after hunting around on Ravelry for the pattern to this! Thank you! I hope to start it this weekend. Did you know that on the ravelry page there isn't a link to this pattern? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is lovely!! And perfect to still wear in the florida heat as a beach cover I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is beautiful... Not sure what size 3 thread your talking about though... could you say what brand and more detail on the thread... You are very talented and this is perfect for summer...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like this easy pattern. Do you sew the short end or log end together? Or do you fold differently? I can't decide which end to sew together. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://images4-b.ravelrycache.com/uploads/Annieheyrus/263919582/20141109_210955_medium2.jpg

      I haven't made this but here is a picture that shows better how to finish this.

      Delete
  15. Would love to make this! Do I see it right that this is just a rectangle?
    How must I fold this? I don't understand how to fold a rectangel to have a triangel on the front. On the front it goes wider and wider to form a triangle. This can't be possible with a rectangle. Unfortunatly the pictures don't help me with this. Please fast answer, want to start now! Thank you so much!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Approx how much yarn does it take????

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used a 10mm hook ....works great

    ReplyDelete