Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pretty Azalea Knitted Hat




I saw the yarn for this hat at the store and loved the color. I knew I wanted a hat. When I made it, my little one saw it and said, "oh...pretty... thank you mommy." She automatically assumes that every thing I crochet or knit is for her. And that's ok. Of course I couldn't say 'That's my hat." It's too big for her, but she still likes it. She looks crazy, happy in the photo below...how could I take it away from her? So now I'll just go get another skein of the yarn.


A couple of you requested the instructions for this hat so I thought I would write it down. I think I am an in-between knitter...meaning I do not knit loose or tight. The size is perfect for my head. I would say that this is a small adult size. The next one I make I will add about 4 stitches.

Materials
1 skein extra chunky 6 weight yarn (I used Lion Brand Hometown in Phoenix Azalea)
Size 13 knitting needles (I used straight needles b/c I had no size 13 circular)
yarn needle

Size
large child or small adult head

Note: A couple of the decrease rows may not end perfectly with a decrease, just follow the instructions and work remaining sts evenly

Pattern

Cast on 40

K2, P2 for 5 rows

Work stockinette stitch for 9 rows

Decrease row (K4, K2tog) across

P the next row

K the next row

P next row

Decrease row (K2, K2tog) across

P the next row

Decrease next row (K1, K2tog) across

Decrease row (P2tog) across ending with 10sts
cut the yarn, leaving at least 12 to 18 inches. Pull end through the remaining 10sts and pull tightly to close.

Use the mattress stitch to sew the side seam.

I am making another one of these hats now... I think I will cast on 44 and add a couple more rows or rounds of the ribbing, so I will edit and correct these instructions as I go.








9 comments:

  1. That maybe the sweetest face I have ever seen under a wonderful pink hat. Thanks for sharing the pattern.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meredith and Genevieve, you are welcome and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Liz!!! Your daughter makes your wonderful hat look even more beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi - just to let you know I've given you an award on my blog - if you don't want to do it, no worries - not everyone likes them! :o)
    Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Anne, and you are very welcome. Maria, that is so nice..thanks so much for the award. You made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. dousnt matter its to big its lovely

    ReplyDelete
  7. THANK YOU Liz.. I've been looking for a nice and easy knit pattern for a hat and this adorable little girl is wearing just what.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful and super cute hat. It fit my 2-year-old. For myself I would go with 15-20 rows of stockinette st instead of 9. I found that it was too "shallow" for my head :D I can't wait to get more chunky yarn and make one for me. Thanks for sharing this beautifully simple pattern.

    ReplyDelete