Monday, February 27, 2012

Spud & Chloe Yarn Review

A few weeks ago I mentioned working with some new yarn, but I couldn't really go into great detail. I have been working on an important project with Spud & Chloe and now I'm going to write a post about my experience with this yummy yarn...kind of like a mini review.


I received a few hanks of the Fine or sock weight yarn and decided to take it to my LYS to wind it into balls. I also wanted to introduce it to the owner, Ruth. She doesn't carry the yarn and I knew she would be interested to see it, and hold it, and touch it. Ruth was busy with other customers, so she set me up with the winding contraption.

I started winding it into balls and was sooo pleasantly surprised to see that there was not one single break in any of the skeins or hanks. That is great for us crocheters/ knitters. We all know how frustrating it is to buy yarn and have to deal with the breaks and knots while working a project.


I have to say that my experience with this yarn has been great. First of all, I love the weight. I love working with fine or fingering weight yarn. You can use it for anything...socks, clothing, bikinis, bags, anything. I think it is also perfect for garments such as sweaters. You will not end up with a bulky or stiff garment from sock weight yarn.

The texture of Spud & Chloe Fine/sock is really nice. It feels so smooth to the touch. Michael (my other half) even ooohhed and aaaahhhed over it, tehe. Can you imagine, a man that doesn't crochet or knit, admiring yarn...funny huh?

There are no thin/ thick places in the skeins. It is consistent throughout each skein. Remember, I am working with five skeins here, not just one. Every single one is consistent.

Another important feature is splitting. We all know how frustrating it is to crochet with splitty yarn. It can really slow down the hook. There is no splitting with this yarn.


The colors are gorgeous as well. I don't think my little photos or photography skills do the colors any justice.


As you can tell, I love this yarn. I will definitely use it again. I really hope my LYS will carry it sometime in the future.

Each skein is Superwash 80% wool and 20% silk (nice huh)
65 grams and approximately 248 yards

You can also go to spudandchloe.com to find more info about the yarn and where you can find some for yourself. I'm sure you'll love it as much as I do.

In the near future, I will post more about the project that I made with this yarn.

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is...I was fortunate to be able to use it:)

      Delete
  2. I love Spud & Chloe yarns and those colors are wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it now, and I'm so glad I was able to work with it:D

      Delete
  3. I have never used Spud and Chloe yarn but now I might give them a try. Love their pattern books.
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it. Did you find their pattern books in your LYS or online?

      Delete
  4. Sounds wonderful, I must check it out! Spud and Chloe is new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm looks gorgeous! I might just have to indulge with a bit of trans atlantic shopping :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. I think it would be worth it. I just popped over to your blog...love it. Your recent post was heartbreaking and beautiful. About the yarn, do what I do...don't tell the husband about every yarn purchase. Mine would have a heart or panic attack...tehe:)

      Delete
  6. Oh, I just LOVE Spud and Chloe! I've used the Sweater, but not the Fine... looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. S & C Fine is my go-to fine gauge yarn. I LOVE it. The color holds true, wash after wash (socks) and I love that the colors work for both young and old. Love your pics by the way...you captured the essence of this yarn perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first time using S&C. It's great to know that the colors will hold up. Thanks:D

      Delete
  8. I love Spun & Chloe! They do have the yummiest colors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another fan here......am smitten with this yarn!

    ReplyDelete