Saturday, January 21, 2012

Just Another Sock Monkey Hat Pattern


I've been wanting to post all week about how interesting my life is and all the interesting things that I do, not related to crochet. But I realized something...my life is pretty boring. I don't have a lot to blog about. I'm on Twitter and all I talk about is crochet. I seriously need a life I guess :D


With that in mind, I decided to post my Sock Monkey hat pattern. I've used other patterns to make these hats and they all turned out great. However, this time I decided to make this hat with a totally new pattern. I like my own little shortcuts and ways of doing things.


Materials
1 skein Bulky weight yarn (I used Lion Brand Jiffy yarn in Camel Spray)
Red, White, and a tiny amount of black yarn
Size H & I crochet hooks
Yarn needle
2 buttons

Size
The size in the photo will fit a 4-12 year old
This pattern is easily altered to fit any size
I used bulky weight. If you choose to use worsted weight then you'll end up with a toddler or baby sized hat

I forgot to get the gauge before I mailed it out, but I did crochet a little tightly. If you crochet more loosely, the hat will fit an adult.

Pattern

With I hook and white, Ch 3

Rnd 1: 7 hdc in 3rd ch from hook (which is the 1st ch made) Join with sl st to the top of first st. (8 hdc)

Rnd 2: Ch 2 (counts as first st here and throughout). Hdc in same st. 2 hdc in each st around. Join with sl st. (16 hdc)

Rnd 3: Ch 2. Hdc in same st, hdc in next st. (2 hdc in next st, hdc in next st) around. Join with sl st. (24 hdc).

Rnd 4: Ch 2, hdc in same st, hdc in next 2 sts. (2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 2 sts) around. Join with sl st. (32 hdc).

Rnd 5: Ch 2, hdc in same st, hdc in next 3 sts. (2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 3 sts) around. Join. (40 hdc).

Rnd 6: Ch 2, hdc in same st, hdc in next 4 sts. (2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 4 sts) around.
Join. (48 hdc).

Rnd 7: Ch 2, hdc in same st, hdc in next 5 sts. (2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 5 sts) around. Join. Finish off. (56 sts).

Rnd 8: Using the red, attach with sl st and ch 2. Hdc in next st and each st around. Finish off.

Rnd 9: Using the camel, attach with sl st and ch 2. Hdc in next st and each st around. Join with sl st.

Rnds 10-17: Ch 2, hdc in each st around, join with sl st. Do not finish off.

Earflap

Ch 1, sc in same st and in next 10 sts, turn (11 sc)

Ch 1, sc2tog, sc in next 9 sts, turn (10 sc)

Ch 1, sc2tog, sc in next 8 sts, turn (9 sc)

Repeat this method of decreases until you end with one stitch, finish off.

2nd earflap

Holding the hat with the right side facing skip 17 sts from the first row of the earflap just made.

Attach with sl st and ch 1. Sc in same st and in the next 10 sts, turn. (11 sc).

Work this earflap the same as the first, but do not finish off when you finish the last row.

You will work a sc round all the way around the hat. Evenly place 11 sc in the sides of each earflap and 3 sc in each corner. Finish off.

In any corner, attach with red yarn leaving a long enough tail to use as part of the braid. Work a row of sc all the way around the hat. Remember to place 3 scs in each corner. Finish off, leaving a long enough tail to use as part of the braid. (I love ways to eliminate weaving ends)

Mouth
Ch 14
Rnd 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next 11 ch, 3 sc in last ch. Working in the other side of chain, sc in next 11 ch. 2sc in the last ch. Do not join.
Rnd 2: 2 sc in the first st, sc in the next 11, 2 sc in each of the next 3 sts. sc in next 12 sts. 2 sc in next st, do not join.
Rnd 3: 2 sc in first st, sc in next 14 sts. 2 sc in next 3 sts, sc in next 14 sts. 2 sc in next sts, sc in last st.
Using my favorite special finishing, leaving a tail long enough for sewing. (Refer to the chunky hat tutorial for the finishing)

Ears
Change to H hook and hold 2 strands of the camel spray together. Crochet tightly

Ch 3
Row 1: 7 Hdc in the 3rd ch from hook, turn. (8 hdc)
Row 2: Ch 2, Hdc in first st, 2 hdc in each st. (16 hdc)
Finish off leaving a tail long enough for sewing


Braids
Cut Nine strands for each side. You should already have 1 strand (the beginning and ending tails) for one side


Make a pom pom and sew onto the top of the hat.

Using photos for reference, sew the eyes and mouth onto the hat. When sewing, only sew through the top layer of the stitches on the hat so the back will look nice and neat.


Using the red, sl st the smile onto the mouth piece. I played around with it a few times to make it look the way I wanted. I did this after everything was sewn into place. I tucked each of the tail ends into the underside of the hat into the camel. (If you don't like this method you can always sew a smile with a yarn needle. The photos of Ireland wearing the hat have a smile sewn this way. I later took it out and used slip stitches to make it look smooth and neat)


As always, you can leave me a comment or send me a message if you need help. I wrote this up pretty fast so there may be mistakes. I hope not, but feel free to let me know. I check messages a couple times each day.

Enjoy!

51 comments:

  1. Thanks for the pattern! So cute!

    Genevieve

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable (both the hat and child)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I have to catch her in the posing mood:)

      Delete
  4. What a cute little monkey model--LOL. I think a life filled with crochet is just right Liz! Thanks so much for sharing another great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think I crochet too much. Especially when I spend more time on Ravelry than I do applying for jobs tehe:D

      Delete
  5. Fantastic Pattern, thanks for the share!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are awesome posting this pattern for all of us crochet hat monkey wannabe makers. I have a totally boring life, wow I got excited because I actually got the mold and mildew off my front porch and walkway yesterday. Pathetic I know.
    Have a great Sunday,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is not pathetic:D I know what you mean about getting excited over finishing housework. I get excited when I finish my laundry early on Saturday...that leaves more time for play and crochet.

      Delete
  7. That is such a cute hat!

    Ps. I got my hat! Thank you so much! I blogged about it today.

    http://notyourgramsafghan.blogspot.com/2012/01/i-won-blog-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks great on you. I'm so glad you like it:)

      Delete
  8. Have been looking for a sock monkey pattern for awhile now. Found you through Pinterest. Thanks so much for sharing your pattern with us. Any chance you would do a video tutorial?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I could do a video if I find time. Working on a pattern now (with a deadline) If I do...I'll post it and let you know. Thanks:)

      Delete
  9. I love this hat, I have been making them for my daughter who works at a daycare center and the parents love this, changed the trim to hot pink, purple, lavender, navy bluye and spring green they are so stinking cute, thanks for the pattern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, I'm so glad you like it:D

      Delete
  10. I have the hardest time making a hat fit somebody! :) I must just crochet really, really tightly! I made this one the way you said..took it to church to try it on a kid and it was snug on a 5 yr old. :) But when I keep increasing my needle size, then the hat seems too "holey" know what I mean?

    I saw the one link on your blog about sizing, but I'm not sure how to translate that into crochet stitches! :) Any suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about sizing. You can follow a pattern to the tee and still come up too large or too small. I have paid for hat patterns that were way off of my gauge. All of our gauges are different so it is hard to say about the number of stitches. I would focus on the size. I usually get my tape measure and make a hat by measuring as I go...width and length. I'm sorry that I couldn't help with number of stitches...but measuring is the best way.

      Delete
    2. I can't believe it's been over 4 months since I first found your patterns! :) I've made 3 hello kitty hats and am working on my 4th monkey hat.

      I have the hardest time getting the monkey ears on straight and centered. They are either too far back on the head, too high, too low! Etc. Any hints to get them on good?!

      And when I sew them on, they are so hard to remove w/o hurting the main hat part!

      Delete
  11. Thank you so much for sharing your patterns. My daughter in law pinned this one on Pinterest with a note: "your grandson neeeeeeeds this!" :-) As they just moved to Alaska from Georgia, I now can't resist makeing it for him! Thanks again, it's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am new to crochet... very new! and im trying to make this for a newborn? how much should reduce? or is there another pattern i should use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,

      Check out my previous post about hat sizes...
      http://crochetincolor.blogspot.com/2012/06/trying-to-customize-hat-sizes.html

      I hope this helps,
      Liz

      Delete
  13. Hi there, I'm still pretty new to crocheting and I'm not exactly sure on the ear part. The part that confuses me about it is taking the 2 strands and crocheting together. If you could help me with that I'd be very appreciative. Other than that I think I'm doing decently lol :)
    Thanks for sharing the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi,
    You're welcome. For the ear you will hold two strands together when crocheting. This makes the ear stiffer and hold its shape. Hope this helps.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh ok, I was thinking I had to crochet around the 2 strands or something.
    Thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Liz,
    I live in a super tiny town and found the perfect color yarn but it is worsted weight...I need to make it to fit a 7 yr old but I am wondering if I double the worsted weight yarn if I'll get decent enough results for it to work since I couldn't find bulky (mostly because the person I'm making it for is allergic to wool :( ) which just made it harder to find something that would do. So anyway all I'm really asking is if you think it will be the right size if I double worsted weight or if there is a better modification I can make to accomodate worsted weight yarn and still get the child size? Thank you so much for your help and your free pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should get close to the right size, but I can't say for sure. You should just use the chart to get the right size. It's the best way, since we all crochet differently. I crochet a little tighter than normal. It's just hard to guess. I suggest using the chart. That way you can either leave it one stranded or double it. You would just use measurements. I've added the link to the post. I hope it helps.

      http://crochetincolor.blogspot.com/2012/06/trying-to-customize-hat-sizes.html

      Delete
  17. Thank You!! I just made this for my son's Halloween costume. He loves it!!! Your instructions were great and easy to follow. Thanks again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't wait to try this!!! I've never made hats before but have been dying to try them!! This will be my first adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How did you attach the braids? I am an experienced crocheter, but I just can't figure out how to attach them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok...I figured it out! I pulled the strands through the middle single crochet. I have seen a lot of sock monkey hat patterns, but this is by far the cutest one!

      Delete
    2. So sorry I did not get back to you before you figured it out. I'm so glad you like the pattern,
      Liz

      Delete
  20. Thank you much for the pattern. Absolutely, enjoyed this one was fun and simple. Loved the way it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, and I'm so glad you love it

      Delete
  21. So very cute!! I can hadly wait to see this on my grandson. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I tried to find the tutorial for the 'chunky hat' for the instructions on finishing this darling hat, but can not find it. Can anyone give the link, or send me the instructions? I would really appreciate it! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi.. the link is over on the right. It's called the Chunky Beanie Hat

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just found your pattern and I'm so excited to start it. It's darling and is perfect for my little grandson. Thanks for sharing! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this pattern, but I need to make a hat for a 15 month old baby. Do you know adjustments for different sizes?

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the pattern!I will make one for my daughter! The model is so pretty too!


    http://jeicrochet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello this is so adorable I enjoyed making this for my great niece who loves monkeys its turning out wonderful I have the pompom to make and add eyes this is so cute she is 9 thanks for sharing this wonderful pattern your model is just beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for sharing this pattern. I will make one for my boy. Muchas gracias!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Would you happen to have a loom knit pattern for this hat? I got the main part of the hat done on the loom but I'm stuck at the ears and the mouth nose piece...can this be done on the loom?

    ReplyDelete
  30. With that in mind, I decided to post my Sock Monkey hat pattern. ... mslippers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Aww what a cute pattern.. my little boy jumps around the house like a monkey and I'm sure this will be the best hat I can make for him. You just earned another follower :)

    ReplyDelete